Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blizzard!

No not the kind you eat, but that does sound really tasty right now!

We are in a "severe weather watch" right now in Des Moines, and more specifically, a blizzard warning. The weather has been terrible the past few days, starting with my trip back home from Minneapolis. I have to say it was probably one of the first times I have actually driven in BAD weather as it was happening, instead of just trying to make my way through the snow after it fell or the roads were icy. I did do well though, obviously since I am able to share about it :)

Yesterday we kept hearing about the BIG STORM that was to hit the mid west. We were all hoping for a snow day today at school, which didn't come until this afternoon. We went to our morning classes, which for me began at 8 and ended at 3, and then I didn't have to go back for physiology from 5-830pm {thankfully}. When we got out of class it had already started snowing and blowing pretty hard, and we were in full blizzard state. I always thought the term blizzard had more to do with tons and tons of snow, but aparently it has more to do with the fact that the snow is blowing than how much is actually falling. And it was seriously blowing on my way home! Zoey keeps barking at the wind, it is getting pretty annoying. And it is freaking cold! With the windchill it's -7 degrees.

Having a snow day for my afternoon classes makes me think of the snow day we had back at Iowa State. How different it was than today. First off, we pretty much knew the night before we wouldn't have school, and then we had the whole day off. My car got stuck in the snow trying to leave Brady's apartment, he got frustrated, and after trying to push me out for 20 minutes because I was the unexperienced west coast girl driving a little honda civic, he had to get in and drive it out. We ended up making it back to my apartment and heading to the only place open in Campustown that day - the bar across the street Es Tas. All of our friends were there for the snow day and we all had a great time hanging out and realizing how lucky we were that Iowa State had cancelled school. It was the first snow day since like 1997 and we were thrilled it had happened to us. I didn't have to make up the presentation I was supposed to give, and other people got out of tests, homework assignments, and just having to go to class in that terrible weather. What a fun snow day that had been. At Mercy, all of my friends live all over the place and everyone getting together on a snow day is pretty impossible. Instead Zoey and I are enjoying a glass of wine and some law and order. Still a good day I would say!

No comments: