Monday, September 19, 2011

Two Weeks In

4th semester has started with a bang. I am already starting my 3rd week of classes in this second to last semester and I can't believe it! The first two weeks were packed full of new information, new clinicals and homework. I already had my two mental health clinicals, they were very new and interesting to me. I was on a child/adolescent unit and got to see how kids ages 7-18 were being treated for mental health issues. It was eye opening what some kids go through and how they deal with their problems. I am of course interested in working with kids, I just don't know the venue is what I am looking for.

Med-surg clinical has already been full of new skills and experiences. I have already done trach care and feeding tubes as well as attempting IV's and its only been two weeks! (Yes I do say attempted because unfortunetly I didn't get them, but my nurse didn't either so I didn't feel too defeated.)We are only on the medical floor for 7 weeks, and then I get to be at a long term care facility for children.

So that is school in a nutshell. I am attending my first volunteer meeting at the Children's Hospital here and I am really excited about that. I will be volunteering 2-4 hours a week and hopefully will make some great connections with kids, as well as great connections with the nurses for future employment. Looking forward to this semester.

Fall has arrived! Football games and crisp morning walks with Zoey, sweatshirts and lack of sandals. I hope everyone is doing well, I know I need a picture post soon, so hopefully I'll be back! First nursing test today, positive thoughts and prayers please :)

No comments: