Monday, January 16, 2012

Career Preview

I started my preceptorship on the pediatric floor last week, and finished my second overnight this morning. What an experience! My first night was slightly disappointing because I didn't even have any pediatric patients, but last night definitely made up for it. I got to take care of really sick kiddos, and saw what a night as a pediatric nurse would or could be like. I learned a lot last night and I am so excited to go back Tuesday night. The first few shifts with my preceptor are kind of orientation nights, and then I will be totally responsible (with supervision still) for my patients. I am slowly transitioning into what a "real" nurse is, and I love it!

My clincals for class are starting to be the same way. We took 2 patients last week, and will bump up to 3 and 4 this week and next. I am looking forward to this, as I think I will be good at the time management of my patients, but you never really know until you are actually in the moment and dealing with real life issues. I have found this to be one of the most frustrating parts of nursing school - the difference between what you expect and think based on your textbooks and learning versus what really happens on the floor and in reality with your patients. This concept between expectations and reality I guess can be seen everywhere in life, my life just consists mostly of nursing these days :)

That's about it for now, going to try to get in a little more sleep and then work on homework for the week. Happy Monday!

No comments: