It is hard to look back and think that I didn't post about these 2 things immediatly after they happened, because these clinicals were so great. I had two days on Mom & Baby floor and 1 day on Labor & Delivery.
My first day on Mom & Baby I was taking care of a newborn and another classmate was taking care of the mom. It was such a great experience and it was so heartwarming to see this new mom, her husband and baby bonding so well. We got to do a lot of teaching as part of our care, and even though this was their second child, the parents were so recepetive and thankful for us being there. Part of our cares is to give the newborn their first bath, but these parents wanted to do it themselves. Dad gave the baby her first bath and we instructed and did our interactive bath teaching. We also did assessments on both mom and baby. Baby's heart beats are so fast and loud, it is really an awesome thing to hear.
My time on the Labor & Delivery floor was long and somewhat uneventful. The mom I was with was progressing very slowly and so I didn't actually get to see the delivery. I was a bit disapointed with this but it's life and sometimes the beginning of it is a bit slow :)
My second Mom & Baby day was somewhat more exciting because I had both the mom and baby to perform cares on. This included everything that my classmate and I did on the first day, but just me to do it. I had to prioritize and make sure that I could do my assessment on mom and baby before mom needed to feed, sleep, shower, or baby was upset. It was really a fun day and I loved the interaction with my patients.
I hope I wasn't too vague with my descriptions of these clinical days. It has been a few weeks and the actual experiences and feelings aren't AS clear as they were when they happened. I really need to get better about reflecting right after these experiences!
No comments:
Post a Comment